South Lanarkshire College
The information on this page was last updated on 23 August 2019.
The details of support available can change, so before you apply it's best to speak to the named contact to check exactly what they offer.
Welcome to South Lanarkshire College (SLC). We’re delighted that you’re considering studying at SLC and want you to know that we take great pride in the quality of our programmes and the success of our students. We have dedicated teams of staff who are there to make sure that our students are successful in their chosen course of study, and we work closely with our students to ensure their transition into further education is as smooth as possible and that they achieve their full potential.
If you are care-experienced, we can support you every step of the way:
- 1:1 tailored support from the Guidance and Support Advisor as your named staff contact.
- Discussion of course options and assistance with completing relevant forms.
- Arranging a visit to the college to see the facilities to help with orientation.
- Providing guidance and advice on funding, childcare, discretionary funding, accommodation and travel.
- Fast-track of your Bursary and Discretionary funding applications.
- Introduction to the learning development team, if necessary.
- Assisting with access to additional support services i.e. in-house counselling, pastoral support, mindfulness classes or mental health services.
- Regular meetings with you to review ongoing support.
- Discussion on how you are progressing with your studies and to offer support towards your next steps after college.
For more information or to arrange a visit, please don't hesitate to contact us. We look forward to hearing from you!
Support we offer?
- A named contact
- Outreach sessions or activities
- Pre-application help
- Guidance for offer holders
- A web page for care leavers
- Careers advice and support after graduation
Accommodation we offer?
- A place to live all year round
- If not, help finding somewhere to live for the whole year
Funding support we offer?
- Specific funding that's just for care leavers
- Additional funding available (such as bursaries and grants)
- Support for students seeking asylum
- Support for those with discretionary leave to remain
- Financial advice
We will support you through the funding application process, to make sure you have access to all the funding you are entitled to. This could be through SAAS, educational support allowance, or further education bursary support.
There are discretionary funds available to help you with your accommodation costs, and any additional expenses you may have.
We also have a childcare discretionary fund that will meet all your timetabled costs of nursery, afterschool care and child minder costs, if you have children.